Friday, August 17, 2012

Gram...and the unbearable lightness of being me.


WebOS has just been re branded as Gram. Long live Gram!
Unfortunately now is also the time for me to announce that I have left webOS. I am now working at Samsung.
Before the web takes this statement and make it again one of those this-is-the-proof-that-webOS-is-dying kind of thingy.
I want to make clear the following statement.
When I left webOS, I left a great team with great people and an organization with a credible business plan, a strategy and the support and means from HP to make it happen.
I also left an organization that was mature and had thought through its DNA and culture. And I left also an engineering team  that had been re-organized, re-composed, that was cranking out code, hiring, setting up processes and architecture like never before, with the budget and support to achieve their goals.
It is not up to me to predict the future and say whether they will be successful or not, Believe me when I say that Gram has a very, very good prospect. And my gut feeling is that it is not the last we hear from them.
I also left a great boss - named Martin Risau - which has been the major force behind this rebirth. A great boss, who made and said all the right thing to make it very hard for me to go.
Actually I left so much behind that it was one of the hardest professional decision I have ever had to make.
But in the end, what Samsung offered me, was- from a professional and purely intellectual point of view - simply to good to resist; I had to listen to a much lighter and selfish side of me and break away from a family to join a new one.
I needed to make this clear, as - starting next week - I will be recruiting for my new Samsung team and I did not want any confusion on the subject nor did I want this to be misinterpreted in any way.
I want to thank all the great people  I have worked with at webOS.
Martin, Leonid, Steve, Itai, Dragan, Jayshree, Kent, Enda, Gray, Susan, Christine, Keith, Keith, Roger, Ari, etc..and all the other that I could not name.... I will see you around and wish you luck from the bottom of my heart.

8 comments:

Jonathan Pritchard said...

I hope Gram re-energises HP, and they realise that following and not innovating will always leave you in second, or worse last place. There are great things going on at HP, and a great heritage. But execution and innovation are everything.

Good luck with your new role.

Yannick Pellet said...

Thanks
You are right. It is always about innovation and execution.

kneeland said...

always sad to see a great Finn go to Samsung, but that's life for this phase of it...

-sent from my N9 or 800

Anonymous said...

Call me retrograde, but no respect to you from me. Left people working for you and trusting you after several months that's may be worse?

Anonymous said...

Could you explain what's the overall goal of open source webOS?

Touchpad can install the newest version of Android Jelly Bean, but not open webOS.

Even if open webOS has released the beta, the community has no clue which mobile devices can install it.

No new hardware planned for it either. Without the hardware support, how can it gain the developer support?
What traction does the open webOS project try to gain?

HP can answer none of these questions for a year.

Do you really think you left webOS team in a good prospect, but not pushed it to death corner then jumped ship?

Yannick Pellet said...

The point of this post was not to command, or beg for respect, but aimed at something completely different. That being said, thanks for your opinion.

Yannick Pellet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yannick Pellet said...

I cannot anymore answer those questions on behalf of webOS or HP. I am rooting for another team now - Samsung.
Let's see, I might put a post latter on about my general pov on the matter of SW platform.
In the mean-time I can assure you that when I left, it was not a death march - and openwebos beta seemed to have hit the exact milestone that we had set ourselves 4 month back. But I have been on sufficient amount of SW platform to know that this does not guarantee success either on the long term but I wish them luck.